Polka Dots

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Achievement

Before I left my school in Virginia, my Girls on the Run team "challenged" me to the St. Louis Rock n Roll Marathon. I somehow convinced my husband to sign up for the half marathon with me. I had never run more than a 5K before starting to train for the half marathon. We began training over the summer after I moved. The training was long and hard and I wanted to quit multiple times.

Finally, race day came on October 23rd. I wore my hot pink shorts in honor of my Girls on the Run team. It was such an emotional day. I was really nervous before we started but once we got going, I felt a lot better. Seeing all of the people cheering on the sidelines was very moving. Around mile 9 I felt like I had hit a wall. I didn't know if I could make it to the end, but I pushed through it. When we finally got in sight of the finish line, I took off, leaving my husband in the dust! :)

When I finished, I was so proud of myself. I wasn't sure if I could really do it, but I am so glad that I took the chance and persevered. And I am so glad that my GOTR team challenged me to it. I think it made me a stronger person, not just physically, but emotionally as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment